Moroccan carrot dip
erve this warmly coloured and sweetly spiced Moroccan carrot dip as part of a tabletop spread, along with some olives, flat bread, grills and salad.
Feeds 4 to 6
- 500 g carrots
- 1 garlic clove
- half tsp ground cumin
- half tsp paprika
- half tsp ground ginger
- half tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Maldon sea salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp green olives
- 2 tbsp flat parsley or coriander leaves
- 4 rounds of flat or pocket bread
- Peel the carrots, chop into large chunks and cook in simmering, salted water with the garlic for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Drain well, and return to the hot, dry pan for a minute or two over medium heat to dry them out further.
- Mash or whiz the carrots and garlic in the food processor until smooth. Add the cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne, sea salt, honey and lemon juice and mix well or whiz again.
- Add the olive oil gradually, while still beating. Allow to cool.
- Scatter with olives and parsley leaves, drizzle with a little extra olive oil, and serve with lightly warmed flat bread - with drinks or as part of a meal of shared plates.